Our educational project is based on the model of Glasser Quality Schools (Glasser, 1998 & 2009), which aims at using and applying knowledge in kind, respectful and trustworthy school environments that promote mental, physical and spiritual health, the use of internal control language and the happiness of each individual and the community.
We develop useful skills for the lives of students, their families and the society in which we live through multiple areas of knowledge such as: Spanish language, English language, French language, Portuguese language, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Computer Sciences, Arts Education, Physical Education, Religious Education and Virtues Development.
The curriculum is organized around learning expectations, performance activities, and feedback activities in each subject. Learning expectations are skills or competencies that we hope students will develop to add quality to their lives, their community, and the world. These competencies are summarized in the acrostic LETRICAS (in Spanish) or THISREAL (in English). These competencies are the ones graded at Rochester School:
- Technology Use: Using Technology for integral health and sustainable human progress.
- Health Competence: Being physically, mentally and spiritually healthy.
- Inquiry Thinking & Acting: Going through the process of researching, validating and responsibly acting when learning.
- Systems Thinking: Being systemic when thinking and acting.
- Solving issues: Solve real problems with knowledge.
- Relating well with others: Relate through our virtues—SHICKEL—and the constructive habits.
- Ecological Competence: Conserve biodiversity and the natural environment.
- Analysis & Assessment of Self: Professionally self-evaluate, taking into account your own wishes, the ones of others, and those of the context (rules and agreements previously established).
- Language Competence: Develop language competence by reading, listening, speaking and writing in Spanish, English and a third language between French and Portuguese.
- Leading: Lead without being permissive or authoritarian.
It is with great pride and joy that we share with our community the Course Catalogue 2019-2020, which includes the descriptions of the school’s fundamental areas, a summary of all the courses that are being taught from Prekinder to 12th Grade, and the graduation requirements for each grade, among other items. We sincerely express our gratitude to the Academic Council; this document is the result of working together and making sure our goal of using and applying knowledge is being fulfilled.
Resumen: nuestro proyecto educativo se basa en el modelo de Colegios de Calidad Glasser (Glasser, 1998 y 2009), cuyo objetivo es usar y aplicar el conocimiento en entornos escolares que promueven la salud mental, física y espiritual; la felicidad y el bienestar de cada individuo y la comunidad. Con gran orgullo y alegría compartimos con nuestra comunidad el Catálogo de Materias 2019-2020, que incluye las descripciones de las áreas fundamentales, un resumen de todos los cursos que se enseñan desde Prejardín hasta 11° y los requisitos de graduación para cada grado, entre otros aspectos. Agradecemos el compromiso y dedicación del Consejo Académico para lograr este documento relevante y significativo para nuestro proyecto educativo institucional.